Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Aug 26, 1919

Letter to Gertrude from Chauncey on blank faded white linen (?) note paper


Dear Gert:

Received your card this morning after I had given up all hope of hearing from you. I was going to write a letter before but thought I would send a card first to see if you would answer that or not.
Saw Leona and some of the other girls at the dance hall in Algonac Saturday night. Nearly twisted my neck off trying to see if you were there or not, but no such luck. I expect the Beach will be good and dead after Labor Day.

If it gets too dead this winter I think I will to Detroit to work if I can land a job.

Of course I want one of your pictures, no matter how they turn out. I don’t see why you would not let me keep that picture you had taken on the breakwater, instead of tearing it up. That was a peach.

Jack and Maynard are talking of going to the Fair and want me to go along if I can get off for a day. I wonder if I would stand a chance in the world of seeing you, if I did go? They seem to think they will see Leona and Gerry.

I must have acted like a stick of wood that last night I walked to the boathouse with you. But when one gets a douse of cold water through an upstairs window it’s time to be moving, don’t you think so?

Why didn’t you come in and say good-bye, before you went home, Sunday? Were you mad at something or had the girls been kidding you?

Well, will ring off for this time hoping to receive a letter from you soon, so

I remain, as ever,

A Friend,

Chanucey

P.S. Don’t forget to send that picture.

No comments: