Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What I could not explain to Rachel...

I had a thought whilst I was making "pasta roni" for lunch. Why is Pasta/Rice -a-roni from San Fran? It's the San-Fran-Cis-Co Treat, right? Then I realized that immigrants must, at some point, have moved from Italy (?) to California. Then I wondered why they didn't stop in New York or why they didn't stay in Italy (or wherever, depending what immigrant group I mean). Then I thought: maybe it's just new places. Every place that's newly settled has vast ammounts of potential. Not only for the natives that are being settled, but also for the settlers. But why be a settler? What's the appeal?

This is a lot to think while the noodles were boiling, but I have found that if I try to do other things at the same time, I ruin it. Becuase it's so fast. So I stare at the noodles and think.

Then I thought that maybe the appeal is not really any particlular place, itself. But the fact that most places immigrants go to are "new" or at least "newer" than the place they are coming from. New York and San Fran both had the appeal of having not only fewer people to persecute the immigrants, but fewer people period.

Then the noodles were done and Rachel had to leave.

Right now I have to make more for leftovers for lunch/dinner at Michaels.

No comments: