Thursday, February 01, 2007

"The Illusionist" v. "The Prestige"

They both came out about the same time, they are more or less set in the same time period and they are both movies about fantastically skillful (and famous) magicians.

But there the similarity ends.

I liked "The Illusionist." I didn't like the "The Prestige" so much. Both stories deceive the audience, but I didn't like the secret when it was false marriage and self maiming. On the other hand, I think it was a good story when the hidden plot was to save the girl and then live happily ever after.

I don't know, maybe I'm a shallow movie watcher, but I like movies that tell a good straight-forward story without a whole lot of "angst."

Like "Stranger Than Fiction" -- that's a fun movie.
And "Pursuit of Happyness."

No comments: