Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Shoot...Dang!

I forgot to take a picture at my very first dinner party I threw all by myself.



I had Brendan, Sharon, Joel, Jordan and their kids over for dinner and to meet my new roommates. I made calzones from scratch! (ok, I bought the spagetti sauce... and I didn't make my own pepperonis, but I made the dough and shredded the cheese). I made two batches and timed the yeast in the water, and the dough rising in the bowl and baking and I was/am pleased with myself. It worked. I started at 3:45 with nothing. And by 5:50, there was dinner. When things like this work, it always amazes me. And I was only 20 minutes late from when I said I would serve dinner. ;-) We had a good time and Evelyn got to see the cows I live near. I wish I had remembered sooner, Flannery could have seen them too. Anyhow, Jordan told me that now that they have been over, I'm allowed to have other people over to my house without them.



But the real party started after the guests left. There was cleaning to be done. I like cleaning when I have the time to do it. When you have to eat, clean, and run off to somewhere, or run off to somewhere and then come back to dirty dishes, I don't like it. But I had nothing else to do tonight. I plopped in my Rat Pack CD and started clearing. But then I happily remembered that I had left a third batch of calzone dough rising while we all ate. So I had to make it. Since I was alone, things were already a mess, and I had time -- I experimented.


My new skill tonight is tossing and spinning dough. I had it pretty high sometimes. And I always caught it. Not always flat, but always in my hands. I don't know if it was better or faster than using the counter, but it was WAY more fun -- especially with Dean Martin singing pretty loudly in the background. So I popped the new "left overs" in the oven and kept cleaning and I did a load of laundry. Now I'm waiting for the dishwasher to finish drying so I can fill it up again and go to sleep.


So I took a picture after -- that's what I made. Except they didn't look this nice the first time. It's got to be becuase I threw them...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Jo! Sounds like a fun and delicious time. Way to go for trying the toss. I tried that the other day when I was making tortillas- I didn't work and I can't catch. ;)
Write me and tell me how the teaching biz is going. Love- Erin

Anonymous said...

Dinner was great Jo! Thanks for having us. We want to come over some time and show Flannery the pigs and cows.
Sharon

Daniel Alders said...

Awesome, Jo! Sounds like it was a success. I wanna come over sometime and watch the dough-tossing. :-)