Saturday, June 10, 2006

Open Season for Jobs

So far I've recieved:

2 firm "no" responses (one of them was to try back in August...)
1 failed computer exam at Walmart (Walmart!? How did I fail this?)
3 (at least) applications/resumes that have gotten no response at all
10,000 more blank applications to fill in and turn back in
1 newspaper route

and

Nothing firm yet, but very positive feedback from a bank in Pullman. I am on the short list to becoming a "personal banker" at American West Bank. I saw the ad in the paper and went over to investigate. Turns out the manager there is an old boss of mine from freshman year. I had a part-time job taking phone surveys and Ryan was my boss then, and it looks like he may be my boss again. He remembered me and I think I was able to make a good impression in the interview. They (Ryan and an assistant, Janny) asked all sorts of normal questions, "what banking experience do you have?" and "how well do you work on a team?" "How good at sales are you?" and that sort of thing. Then Ryan leaned acros the table, handed me a flashlight and said "Take your time, but please sell this object to us."

Thank goodness for some of those Assembly speeches and Rhetoric class at NSA. I paniced for about 2 seconds, then pulled myself together and sold them the flashlight. I then recieved an email to take a personality test. The test was pretty retarded actually. Two copies of the same list of attributes, on one list I checked off what others think of me, on the second, I checked off what I think of myself. Strange.

I'm supposed to hear back this week if they think my flashlight-selling skills will be transferable to mortgage-selling skills. If not, I'm going back to re-take the test at WalMart (they pay pretty well for cashiering) and there are several other leads I have.

No comments: